Husband: Samuel Gilbert, Captain (1)
Wife: Mary Rogers (2)
Samuel Gilbert, Captain:
From Wayne Olsen:
Listed in LDS Ancestral File, AFN: 2WPW-10
Ancestral chart of Catherine B. Moore (Mrs. F. B. Moore), 5155 N. HighSt. Columbus, Ohio 43214, submitted to Ct. Soc. of Genealogists, Inc onMar 16, 1970, gives title of Samuel Gilbert as "Capt". Also gives death location as Colchester (with question mark)
From "Genealogy and History of the Derthicks and Related Derricks", BySpencer and Goodpasture. Gateway Press, Inc. Baltimore, 1986.
The land in the Montville area originally was under the control of the Mohegan Indians, a branch of the Pequot Tribe. The first white settler appears to have been Samuel Rogers who in 1670 located on the north side of the Oxoboxo River. The Indians, through Uncas, the Mohegan sachem, also made gifts of land to Jonathan Rogers and his wife, Sarah,daughter of James Harris.
In 1705, 19 settlers had occupied some 3000 acres between New London and Norwich, including Samuel Rogers, Sr., Samuel Rogers, Jr., Benjamin Atwell, Israel Dodge, Samuel Gilbert,.. The map of Salem Parish, mid 1700's shows that some of these settlers were neighbors of John (1)Dethick in the Witches Meadow area.
From "Chronicles of a CT Farm" compiled by Mary E. Perkins, Boston, 1905:
Capt Samuel Gilbert was the son of a wealthy innkeeper of Hartford, and married in 1684 Mary, daughter of Samuel Rogers of New London. He secured a license as inn-keeper, and being a man of high reputation and standing, probably made this house a popular resort for the travellers on this thoroughfare between New London and Hartford. The road was in rather a rough condition, and he applied to the County Court in 1724 to have it properly laid out. . He died in Aug 1733.
From "The Gilbert Family, Descendants of Thomas Gilbert, 1582-1659", by H. W. Brainerd, H. S. Gilbert, and C.A. Torrey; New Haven, 1953:
Died at Paugwonk in Lyme, now in the town of Salem, CT.
Samuel Gilbert, while in Hartford, seems to have assisted his mother in carrying on the inn, but he did not neglect public duty. He was a member of the militia, as every able-bodied man upwards of 16 years of age was obliged by law to be. In Oct 1698, he was commissioned Ensign of the North Train Band at Hartford. In Jul 1705 he sold land in Hartford to his brother Thomas Gilbert of Boston, mariner. He sold the inn property in Hartford to Capt Caleb Williamson, who had come from Barnstable, MA to Hartford. About the same time he leased to William Worthington a place on the highway running south from Wyllys Street in Hartford. Worthington bought the property in 1709 and kept an inn there until his removal to Colchester in 1717. This estate lay east of the South Green in Hartford, known now as Barnard Park. An inn was kept there for many years after Worthington left it, probably by Amos Hinsdale.
Soon after this, perhaps in 1706, Ensign Gilbert removed himself and family to Colchester. In May 1707, he was confirmed Captain of the Train Band in Colchester, In 1709 he was Captain of a company in Colonel William Whiting's regiment in an expedition to Canada.
In 1724, Samuel, then of Lyme but late of Colchester, sold to Joseph Otis of Scituate, MA for 770 pounds all his farm in Colchester, 280 acres. In the same month he gave or sold land to his son, Nathaniel. He had removed to Paugwonk, within the limits of Lyme. Paugwonk residents had difficulty obtaining parish status for a number of years. He was one of signers of several petitions to that effect. Evidently the parish (but not the church) had been legally organized by Oct 1725. It evidently was many years before they got a minister.
In May 1726, the society was legally called New Salem, no doubt in honor of Col. Samuel Brown of Salem, MA, its largest landowner.
Revised: November 26, 2016