Husband: Jasper Saxton, LT (1)
Wife: Martha Keyes (2)
Jasper Saxton, LT:
Per Wayne Olson:
From Massachusetts Solders and Sailors in the War of the Revolution, pubby State of MA: Following entry for JASPER SAXTON:
Sergeant, Lieut. Jeremiah Hickok's co., Col John Ashley's regt.; entered service July 6, 1777; discharged July 27, 1777; service, 22 days; company marched to Kingsbury July 6, 1777, at request of Maj. Gen.Schuyler; roll sworn to in Berkshire Co.; also, Capt. John Spoor's co., Col. John Ashley's (Berkshire Co.) regt.; entered service Sept 19, 1777; discharged Oct. 19, 1777; service, 31 days; company marched to Stillwater; roll certified at Sheffield by Brig. Gen John Fellows; also, Capt Enoch Noble's co., Col John Ashley, Jr.'s (Berkshire Co.) regt.; engaged Oct. 15, 1780; discharged Oct 17, 1780; service 4 days; company marched to the Northward by order of Brig. Gen Fellows on an alarm at the time Forts George and Ann were taken by the enemy; roll sworn to at Sheffield.
From "Early Saxton Roots in America", by Velma Odeal Gehrke. Privateprinting:
Jasper grew up in Sheffield and about 1759 married Martha Keyser.They had 8 children. Additional details about their other children contained in ref.
Philander, one of Jasper's sons, also moved to Niagara County(Cambria area). He had 4 children before his wife Ellen died. She is buried at Lockport NY.
Jasper Saxton (of Sheffield) estate probated Jul 5, 1798 (Docket number1929 of Berkshire County Probate Court). Details include:
- widow Martha still living
- owned house and barn plus 134 acres
- Administered by William Baron, Silas Kellogg and Joel Kellogg
- John Saxton, administrator
- Announcement of meeting for inventory, signed by Martha Saxton, John Saxton, Athur Saxton, William Sheldon Jr, Philander Saxton, Nathaniel _____(?), and Phillip Eastman.
- Inventory valued at $194.46 ($935.89 minus debts)
- One third to widow.
- Money previously advanced to most of his children... heirs include
Diadema, wife of W. Sheldon
Lurina, late wife of Nathaniel Egliston (Egleton)
Phebe, wife of Phillip Eastman
Revised: November 26, 2016