Wife: Mary Levitt (3)
John White, Elder:
From Wayne Olson:
Listed in LDS Ancestral File, AFN: 8K84-M3
From "Colonial Ancestors, 4 Lineal Genealogies of Eastern CT Families", by Reig, Foster, and Little. Penobscot Press, Camden, ME, 1991:
John White was not yet of age when his father wrote his will and died in 1617; assuming an approximate age of 22 years upon his marriage in Messing, county Essex, England,.. to Mary (Lev)it, he could have been born around the year 1600. If so, his age at his death would have been about 83, for his will was dated 17 Dec 1683, and the inventory of his estate was dated 23 Jan 1683/4. His son Nathaniel, active successful and respected like his father, was to live to about this same age.
In the parish register of Messing, the name of John's wife is given as Mary, but the first letters of the surname are illegible; the last two letters, however, are "it." A search for names found locally and so ending produced the surname, "Levit"; additional support for a tie between the two families occurs when a John White is found to have been a witness to the will of a William Levett, yeoman, of Messing, dated 9 Oct 1626 and proved 15 Dec 1626. From such evidence, Mary's maiden name is believed to be "Levit," or "Levett," and the William who died before 15 Dec 1626, leaving an estate of around 500 pounds, to be her father.
John and Mary White lived in England about 10 years before departing for America. In company with William Goodwin and others who would later found Hartford, they sailed on the Lyon on about 22 June, and arrived in Boston on 16 Sep 1632. Joining Hooker followers who had earlier located at Braintree, they settled into their first home across the sea at Newton. In less than a year, on 4 March 1633/4, John White was admitted a freeman of the Massachusetts Bay Colony; and in Feb 1635, when Newton held its first local elections, John was one of the seven men chosen as "townsmen" or "selectmen."
Then, in the general removal of the Cambridge people to Hartford, John and his young family are believed to have come over to the Connecticut River with Thomas Hooker in June, 1636. He was one of the original proprietors, and his home lot was located next to that of Edward Hopkins, second governor (in 1640) of the Connecticut Colony. By 1642, he had been elected an "orderer," or selectman at Hartford, holding that office again in 1646, 1651 and 1656. He often served also as a juror, or arbitrator in the adjudication of private differences.
After Thomas Hooker's death in 1647, problems developed within the Hartford Church, centering around personal and doctrinal differences between the Rev.. Samuel Stone and Elder William Goodwin. This resulted in attempts to establish a second church in Hartford, and that effort repeatedly failing, a large contingent of Hartford settlers decided to remove and resettle elsewhere. On 18 April 1659, having received permission from the MA General Court, some 59 persons "engaged" to remove and resettle at Hadley in the MA Bay Colony. In this wrenching situation, at about age 60, John White held firmly with his brother-in-law, William Goodwin, and actually made the move to Hadley in about 1660. It meant, ofcourse, breaking new ground and building all over again.
By this time strong in experience and wisdom, John White was even more a prominent leader than he had been before in Hartford. Informally a selectman at Hadley at the outset, he was formally confirmed as such in 1662, 1663 and 1665. In the years 1664 and 1669, he was Deputy from Hadley to the General Court in Boston.
After 1670, John White's name no longer appears on the records of Hadley. What happened was that the people of Hartford who had sought to establish a new church had finally prevailed, withdrawing with the Rev. John Whiting as their minister. Located on the south side of the Little River, this church became known as the "South Church." More or less coincidental with this event, John White returned to Hartford and rejoined the old friends who espoused the same congregational principles which he embraced. Probably, he was then elected to be the Elder of South Church, today an uncommon office, but indicative in that earlier time of enormous respect and love. At length, on 28 Mar 1677, he was elected to the office of Ruling Elder, and having accepted, he was hen formally ordained and installed, just as would be a called minister. It was in this way, during his final years of life, that he took on forever the worthy title of "Elder" John White.
From "Pioneers of Massachusetts: A Descriptive List", by Charles Henry Pope. Genealogical Publishing Co, 1977:
John, embarked for New Eng. June 22, 1632. Settled at Cambridge. Frm. March 4, 1632-3 Propr. 1633; town officer 1634; sold lands Oct 20,1635; rem. "to the Newe Towne uppo Quinetucquet River", i.e., Hartford,CT. One of the first settlers of Hadley; deputy. Ret. to Hartford; elderin chh. Wife Mary; ch. Mary (m. Jonathan Gilbert,) Nathaniel, John, Daniel, Sarah (m. 1. Stephen Taylor, 2, Barnabas Hinsdale, 3, WalterHickson,) Jacob.
He d. at Hartford, CT, about Dec 17, 1683.
From "Genealogies of Hadley Families", compiled by Lucius M. Boltwood,1905. Republished by Genealogical Publishing Co, Baltimore, 1996.
Came from England in the ship Lyon, which sailed from London June22, 1632, and arrived in New England Sep 16. He settled in Cambridge, was admitted freeman Mar 4, 1633, and removed probably in Jun 1636 to Hartford, of which town he was an original proprietor. He was one of the first settlers of Hadley, and Representative 1664 and 1669. About 1670 he returned to Hartford, where he was an Elder in the South Church, and died between Dec 17 1683 and Jan 23 1684.
From "The Day Family, Ancestors and Descendants of Dudley Day, Sr,"compiled by his daughter Mary Alice 1940,.. updated 1977.
Some conflicting info:... Elder John White, came from Chelmsford, Eng. and was one of the founders of Hartford, CT. HE lived on Governors Street within the lengthening shadows of the famous Charter Oak. He had a very large number of descendants.
He sailed from London, England in the Lion, June 22, 1632 - was in Boston, Sept 16, settled in Cambridge, freeman 1633, sold his land by June 1636 - moved to Hartford, CT and was one of the original founders there. He removed to Hadley by 1660. He returned to Hartford in 1671. He was Ruling Elder 1677. He was b. 1605, d. 1683. He was representative from Cambridge to the General Court in 1636, and Representative from Hadley to the General Court of Mass. Bay Colony in 1644 to 1649. His wife was named Mary. She d. before he did.
From "Original Hadley Settlers," in the Grafton Magazine, special edition, by Dr. Franklin Bonne and Elbridge Kingsley:
From England, 1632; From Cambridge to Hartford; To Hadley 1659. Removed to Hartford, and died 1684. Married Mary ____. 6 children listed. Lot in Hadley stayed in family through at least 1821. House burned in 1900.
From " ? ":
John White was born in England about 1600. He married there, Mary Leavitt and died in Hartford, CT Jan 1 1684. He sailed for Lion" about Jun 22, 1632 and landed at Boston, MA Sep 16, 1632, bringing with him his wife and at least two children. He settled in Cambridge, MA and was allotted a home lot of about 3/4 of an acre on a street then called Cow Yard Row, together with about 30 acres of outlying farming land. On Aug 5, 1633, 3/4 of an acre additional near his home lot was granted to him for a cow yard. Harvard Library is located on or near this piece of land.He was a prominent man in the settlement, and was a member of the first board of selectmen of Cambridge. In Jun 1636, he joined a company of about 100 men, women, and children who left Cambridge to form a new settlement at Hartford, where he was allotted a home lot of about two acres on the east side of Governor Street , about 10 rods south of Little River, and about 230 acres of farm land. Here he took a prominent part in town affairs. Owing to dissensions in the Hartford church, on Apr 18,1689, a party of 60, of whom John White was one of the leaders, left Hartford to form a new settlement at Hadley, MA. He was allotted a house lot of about 8 acres on the east side of Hadley St. together with a large area of outlying land. About 1670 he returned to Hartford and was elected elder in the South Church which had shortly before been formed by seceders from the First Church.
From "Thomas Lincoln of Taunton and Joseph Kellogg of Hadley and 144 Related Colonial Families", by Ruth Lincoln Kaye, Professional PrintingCo., Wash DC, 1973:
Came in the LION with wife Mary Levit to Boston in 1632. Next year was declared freeman, therefore had joined the church. In 1633 he received a grant of land at Cambridge, was selectman there 1635, but sold most of his land before Jun 1636. His home lot is now occupied by Gore Hall, Harvard University. Describing himself as "of the new town upon the Quinetacquet River" he removed in 1636 with Thomas Hooker to Found Hartford, CT. A proprietor, he is listed on the Founders' monument in Center Church yard. Selectman 1642-46-51-56, deputy to the General Courtand frequently a juror, he left Hartford in 1659, unable to agree with the Halfway Covenant that children of non-church members might be baptized. There, too, he was highly regarded by his townsmen, serving as representative to the General Court in 1664 and 1669 and as elder of the church. In 1675 he moved back to Hartford to spend his last years, and till his death was prominent in old South Church as ruling elder, referee and counsellor on ecclesiastical matters.
From "Passengers on the Lion 1632", by Sandra Sutphim Olney, HeritageBooks, Inc. 1992:
(Much the same info as above)
Revised: November 26, 2016