Married: 13 Nov 1649
In 1657 John and Josiah Haynes and a Mr. Treadway bought of Mrs.Parnell Nowell, widow of Increase Nowell, who was for many years Governor's Assistant in the Massachusetts Colony, 3,200 acres which lay in what is now Shrewsbury, but adjoining Northborough on the west. In 1664 this land was surveyed and formally allotted to them.
The Town of Shrewsbury, named for Shrewsbury, England, is a suburban community with an uneven and hilly terrain cut by a number of minor streams providing several small water power sites. Grants of land were made in what would eventually be the town beginning in 1664, with the 3,200-acre (13 km2) grant called Haynes Farm as the largest.
Revised: November 26, 2016