Wife: Charlotte Husk (9)
Born: 1734 in Ackquanack, NJ
February 10, 2006
Tonight I want to tell you about our forefather,
1735 - 1790
When Frederick Demouth died his son Adam seems to have taken over the estate. Frederick's will indicated his two sons, Adam and Conrood, were to get equal amounts of property. Adam, right away, and Conrood was to come into his share when he married. The will was "proved" in 1766. A will is "proved" when it is submitted to an official who determines the will to be valid and issues a decree appointing an executor to administer the estate, all the stuff, left by the person who died. Frederick's will was proved 8 September 1766, when Adam was about 30 years old. But it may be that Adam inherited the bulk of the estate as I can find no further record of Conrood. Adam's two sisters each inherited two lots at NewFoundland, one of which had on it the famous stone house.
Adam married Charlotte Husk in 1755. He and Charlotte had only two children, Jacob and Anna. Jacob was born in 1755, I don't know when Anna was born. By the time Frederick died and Adam inherited his wealth, Adam was married and had at least one and probably two children.
Alex Fowler's Demouth Report tells us that Adam Demouth was one of the three wealthiest men in Pequannock Township in 1778. The Pequannock, New Jersey tax list of 1778-1780 gives us an idea of Adam's wealth. Here's what it says:
"1778-80 tax list - Adam Dmott -460(improved acres) worth 3000 #s, 102(unimproved acres) worth 200#s, 12 (horses), 20 (horned cattle), 15 (hogs), 3(slaves), 222(Pounds out at interest), Exempt ("Demout 562(acres), 8(horses), 12(horned cattle), 4(hogs), 2(slaves)"
The way I read this is the first set of things, up to the word exempt, is Adam's taxable property. For some unknown reason, unknown to us anyway, he didn't have to pay tax on the second set of things. So if you subtract the second set from the first set you'll find what he did have to pay tax on. It comes out to 4 horses, 8 horned cattle, 11 hogs, and one slave. Notice how they list the slaves right in there with the hogs and cattle.
Are you surprised to know one of our ancestors owned slaves? Slavery never was as common in the north as it was in the south. However, it did exist in all the colonies before the Revolutionary War. John Hancock and Benjamin Franklin owned slaves. William Penn, the great Quaker, owned slaves. People found ways to use the Bible to justify slavery and they wrote laws to protect it. And in New Jersey there was a higher proportion of slaves to the rest of the population, and slavery lasted longer than in other northern states. The rhetoric in the run-up to the Revolution helped to put an end to northern slavery. Many thinking people were sensitive to the paradox of "all men are created equal," and of claiming the natural human right of freedom for themselves while denying it for African people. People in the south were aware of these paradoxes also, but their economy was much more dependent on slavery so they found lots of ways to make excuses for slavery that didn't work in the north. In New Jersey slavery was officially abolished in 1804. Unofficially it continued until the end of the Civil War in 1865. But in 1766 when Adam inherited his father's slaves, slavery was still officially legal in New Jersey.
We really don't know much more than this about Adam. There is a document, dated 10 April 1790, releasing his estate to his two children, Jacob, and Anna who had married Adam Miller. They had worked out an agreement between themselves and Jacob ended up paying Anna 5 shillings to make it even. Jacob became the owner of the 512 acre homestead farm. I wonder what Anna got. Anyway, so Adam must have died shortly before 10 April 1790.
Adam is our Demouth ancestor who enjoyed the fruits of the efforts of father and grandfather to establish the wealthy estate. Adam was a good manager because he was able to pass the wealth on to his son and daughter. He was born in the colony of New Jersey, a subject of the English king. He died a citizen of the state of New Jersey in the United States of America. And like many of his neighbors, he was a slave owner.
Here's how we're related to Adam Demouth. Adam married Charlotte Husk and had Jacob Demouth. Jacob married Deborah and had John Demouth. John married Mariah Levi and had another Jacob Demouth. That Jacob Demouth married Cordelia Martindale and had Samuel Demouth. Sam married Elzora Pierce and had Thelma Demouth. Thelma married Forrest Zimmerman and had Dianne Zimmerman. Dianne married Paul Stevens and had Dawne Stevens. Dawne married Jason Pamplin and had . . . Sarah, Hannah, Timmy and Becky! So Hooray for Adam Demouth. We needed him even if he did own slaves. I hope he treated them well.
All the references to Adam (3) have been posthumous ones: in MC Deeds E?90, dated April 10, 1790, "...Adam Miller and and Anna his wife, late Anna Demouth of Pequannock Township of the first part and Jacob Demouth of the second part...whereas Adam Demouth deceased...died intestate and at the same time was seized of considerable estate both real and personal in the County of Morris and elsewhere and whereas the same descended to his two children Jacob Demouth and Anna Demouth now Anna Miller..." This was a quit-claim deed releasing to Jacob 512 acres of the homestead farm of Adam Demouth, his father. Other deeds bearing out the above genealogical data were recorded in Morris County in 1797 (c.f. MC Deeds C/289; D/362; D/364).
The following is from Rootsweb "Demouth" Message Board:
East Proprietors, NJ Survey Book
Author: Janet Bornhoeft Date: 5 Mar 2001 12:00 PM GMT
Surnames: DeMouth, DeModt, Hartshome, Lemuel Cobb, Berry, Decker
Hi- At the New Jersey Archives, Trenton, I found some survey deeds involving DeMouths of Morris Co, NJ. 1. Lemuel Cobb surveyed for himself a tract between Stony Brook and Bloomingdale, Pequannack beginning at a tract returned to Hendry DeModt, Henry Berry, and Jacob Berry on 8 Nov 1762. Also a tract by/in "Bruen's Meadow Lot returned to George Ryerson 27 March 1754. This survey was witnessed and dated 5 Oct 1804. 2. Lemuel Cobb surveyed for the heirs or assigns of Hugh Hartshome at the request of Frederick DeMouth all that tract adjoining the farm of Adam DeMouth in Pequanack, Morris Co which was surveyed 12 May, 1715 for Gov William Penn. Also a tract situate on NE side of the Green Pond, Pequannack returned 14 September, 1751. The heirs of Hugh Hartshone/Hartshome claim right to these through a certificate of Mislocation to them at the request of Frederick Demouth dated 26 December 1761. This was witnessed 27 Nov. 1786. My Deckers in 1793 onward had land next to DeMouths. Can anyone connect the above early DeMouths/DeModts to the other names mentioned and then to the Deckers? Thanks for any help. Janet Bornhoeft
This deed appears to be a settlement of property between Jacob Demouth and Anna Miller, formerly Anna Demouth, "the two children of Adam Demouth, deceased, who died intestate, 'seized of a considerable estate both real and personal in the County of Morris and elsewhere'(Sussex County)."
Vanderhoof - Morris Co deeds, 1809 -1815
21 Oct 1809Peter Nim/NIx(sic), Peq. Peter Vanderhoof, Peq. $200.00 land in Peq. being part of tract of 1250 acres returned to Gov William Penn May 12, 17-5, recorded Burlington book B folio 39. Beg. at a large heap of stones where a white oak (the 3rd corner of the whole tract) formerly stood by the side of a great rock thence....to a corner of a tract granted by Lemuel Cobb to Jacob Demouth MARCH 1, 179_(8?) ...along Demouth line to his corner stake ...containing 76 38/100 acre. wit: Silas Cook James A.V Duyne
11 April, 1815Abraham I Vanderhoof and caty, Caldwell, Essex Co Peter Vanderhoff, Peq. $1,000. Peq, lot 2 containing 86 57/100 which Abrah. I Vanderhoof bought of John Nix 31 Dec 1814, situate both sides of John Parliaman's Saw Mill Brook...begin at heap of stones being John Parliaman's corner in the outside line of Penn's tract ...from a large heap of stones, N corner of Demouth's purchase from Penn'[s agent abt 1756...to a rock...to a small hickory sapling ...to a small spanich oak by the road....wit: David Harrison-Peter Jacobus
[Land record - 1815]
Vanderhoof - Morris Co deeds 1815-1822
3 June 1816David Occaback(sic) & Lizabeth, wife, late Elizabeth Hopler and William VanWinkle and wife Sarah, late Sarah Hopler to Henry Tuttle (sic), Jacob Vanderhoof, Morris, James Shaw, James Lyon $1.00Peq, ...part of land Conrad Hopler, late of Peq, by will 10 May, 1815 bequeathed to his daughters then living...Beg in a line of land of Richard B (?) Faesch/Laesch (?) called the Boonetown tract...wit: Silas Cook, Jacob Demouth
[Jacob is witness to a land deal - 1815]
Our early community was settled by well educated and prosperous families who have always supported an excellent school system. From as early as 1783 eight different institutions of learning have been constructed in this small community. In 1842 the Rockaway Valley Methodist Church was erected by a congregation organized in 1785 by Jacob DeMouth. In 1918 the Mt. Zion Baptist congregation was founded by the Reverend David R. Russell.
"Justices of the Peace.—From 1776 to 1844 the justices of the peace of each county were appointed in joint meeting, to hold their office for five years, and were considered county officers. Besides those who were also judges, and whose names appear as such, there were appointed for Morris county the following: ...Jacob DEMOUTH, 1815, 1820, 1826, 1832; . . ."
This Indenture made the tenth day of April in the year of our Lord seventeen hundred and ninety-seven Between Adam Miller and Anna his wife late Anna Demouth of the Township of Pequanack in the County of Morris and State of New Jersey of the one part and Jacob Demouth of the Township County and State aforesaid of the other part. Whereas Adam Demouth deceased of the Township of Pequanach aforesaid died intestate and at the same time was seized of a considerable estate both real and personal in the County of Morris and elsewhere and where as the same descended to his two children Jacob Demouth and Anna Demouth now Anna Miller agreeable to division made by law and by them divided with respect to quantity and quallity and whereas the premisses hereby intended to be released is the portion of the said Jacob Demouth and by agreement is the full of his share of said estate including what he has already received. Now this Indenture witnesseth that the said Adam Miller and Anna his wife for and in consideration of the sum of five shillings in hand paid before the sealing and delivery here of the receipt whereof is hereby acknowledged have given granted bargained sold released conveyed and quit claimed and by these presents doth give grant bargain sell release convey and quit claim to the said Jacob Demouth his heirs and assigns forever all that tract of land situate in Pequanack aforesaid ______ tract of the homested farm of the said Adam Demouth __________ at white oak tree standing in a swamp ______________________________________________________________
marked TB being the beginning corner of the whole plantation ________ (1) North forty one degrees East one hundred and fifty one chains and forty seven links* to a rock oak tree being second the corner of Penn Tract thence (2) North forty nine degrees West three chains thence (3) North forty one degrees East sixteen chain and fifty six links to East corner of the lot which the Adam Demouth purchased of Isabella Kearny thence (4) North forty nine degrees West seventeen chains and and sixty three links to a small rock oak speri marked with the letters LP and TD being a corner of John Parleman Jun-r land which he bought of Adam Miller and his wife thence by the same and John Van Reipa (5) South forty one degrees West one hundred chains and ninety one links to said Van Reipa's corner stake thence (6) North forty nine degrees West twenty five chain and sixty seven links to a stake and stones fi_ed in the outside line __ the whole plantation being the Beginning corner of John Van Reipa's plantation thence (7) along the outside line of the whole plantation South forty one degrees West sixty six chains and fifty links to a large white oak tree standing in Frederick Miller's line by the road thence (8) South forty nine degrees East forty six chains to the Beginning Containing five hundred and twelve acres and forty eight hundreths of an acre be the same more or less Also ninety six acres and sixty six hundreths of an acre situate at the North east side of the green pond in the Township of Pequanack aforesaid as may appear by a return thereof returned the 27th day of November in the year 1786 and recorded in Book S(?) No. 8 page .00 also twenty nine acres and ninety three hundreths of an acre situate fifty three chains and forty links North east from Green Pond in the Township Pequanack aforesaid as may appear(?) by a return thereof returned the 28th day of November 1786 and recorded in Book S(?) No.8-102 also sixteen acres situate in Pequanack aforesaid adjoining the old homested being part of a tract of thirty two acres and a half returned the 5th day of May 1745(?) to Frederick Demouth and recorded in Book L No. 2 page 216 also eight acres and eighty eight hundreths of an acre situate about three quarters of a mile from a meadow called S_______ meadow in the Township of Pequanack aforesiad as may appear by a return thereof to Frederick Demouth dated the 26th day of May 1762 and recorded in Book S No5 page 4 also all the land situate in the County of Sussex that shall or do appear to belong to the estate of the said Adam Demouth deceased as by the returns thereof reference to the same being
will at large appear Together with the buildings fences improvments profits priveleges hereditaments and appurtenances to the same premiseses belonging or in any wise appurtaining Also all the estate right title interest property claim and demand whatsoever of the said Adam Miller and Anna his wife which they now have or ever had or ought to have to the bargained lands and premisses To have and to hold all the above described bargained lands and premisses with the appurtenances thereunto belonging unto the said Jacob Demouth his heirs assigns to the only sole proper use benefit and be___ of the said Jacob Demouth his heirs and assigns forever In Witness Whereof the said Adam Miller and Anna his wife have hereunto set their hands and seal the day above first written
Sealed and Delivered l Adam Miller (seal)
in the presence of l Anna Miller (seal)
The word (oak) below the first line of the second page
and the word (Perlman Jun-r) 8th line of the same page
and (twenty-five) below the 12th line of the same page
and (seven) below the 13th line of the same page
and (East side) below the 22 line of the same page
were all interlined before sealing and delivery
John J Faisch Jun-r - Richard B. Faisch
State of New Jersey l Be it remembered that on this ninth day
Morris County __ l of May in the year of our Lord one thousand seven hundred and ninety seven
appeared before me John J. Faisch one of the judges of this inferior Court of Common please for said County Adam Miller and Anna his wife grantors in the within Indenture or deed of release and severally acknowledged that they signed sealed and delivered the same as their voluntary act and deed for the uses and purposes therein mentioned and the said Anna being by me privately examined and apart from her husband acknowledged that it was her voluntary act without the threats or compulsion of her husband Acknowledged befor me the day and year above written.
John J. Faisch
Recorded _______ 5 1801
C. Russell Clk
[property settlement between Jacob and his sister Anna after their parents deaths. 10 Apr 1797
* A chain is a unit of length. It measures 66 feet, or 22 yards, or 100 links, or 4 rods (20.1168 m). There are 10 chains in a furlong, and 80 chains in one statute mile. An acre is the area of 10 square chains (that is, an area of one chain by one furlong). (Wikipedia)]
This deed concerns the settlement of land between heirs of Jacob Demouth (b. 1863). On the one hand are heirs Frederick Demouth, Adam Demouth, John Demouth, Charlotte Demouth, Richard and Elizabeth Kayhart (formerly Elizabeth Demouth), James Demouth, Jacob Demouth. On the other hand is heir Thomas Demouth. The agreement transfers the 400 acre homestead farm to Thomas Demouth.
[Transfer of homestead farm to Thomas Demouth from sibs.]
Jacob Demouth Inventory as of 22 May 1835
5 sheep 7.00 amt Brot up 68.87
3 lambs 2.00 1 lot of tools .50
1 black cow 10.00 1 chest .25
1 heifer 6.00 1 large wheel .75
1 sm shoat 3.00 1 small wheel .75
1 desh & bkcs 1.00 1 pr. steel yaros .25
1 lot of books 5.00 1 old musket 3.00
1 lot pamphlets 1.00 8 3/4 yds full
1 bell .25 cloth 8.00
1 stand .50 Blanket and
1 feather bed Quilt 1.00
ticking 15.00 1 iron kettle 1.00
1 bedstead & 1 crow bar 1.00
cord 1.00 grain in the
1 small case .12 ground 10.00
1 cupboard 7.00 Accounts
7 old chains 1.00 est___ _ond 5.75
2 tables 1.00 $101.12
1 stove pipe 2.00 3 gums .50
1 loom 5.00
1 frying pan .50 $ 101.62
Appraised by us Peter F. Kanouse Joseph Scott
Morris County S: James M. Fleming the administrator of Jacob Demouth being duly sworn did depose and say that the real and personal estate of said deceased is insufficient to pay the debts of said deceased according to the best of his knowledge and belief.
Jas. M. Fleming
From: A Celebration of Legend Fact and Spirit
1785 - 1985
The Rockaway Valley
United Methodist Church
p. 3 "Dedicated to Jacob Demouth and his first class and all who have followed them"
p.7 (Photo of inscription in the old Stewards' book in Jacob Demouth's handwriting)
"The Stewards Book
For Elizabeth Town Circuit 1800
John Dow - P.
James Totten dismissed Stewards
Jonathan Harned - P. displaced 1802
The Business of the Circuit to be Recorded
By one of the Stewards Leagaly "
"The members of this little class which first met in the Demouth plantation house standing in the upper Valley on the celebrated William Penn Lot No. 48, (1) exactly on today's Four Corners,were counted among those zealous adherents of the faith, and Francis Asbury, "Prophet of the Long Road," by persistent, church-family tradition, personally visited and by his enduring touch encouraged the tiny congregation and bolstered its enthusiasm for thirty years, until his death in 1816. ...
"... our congregation was formed in 1785. It is believed that a wandering circuit rider, his name lost in time, rode through the Demouth plantation gates and found welcoming pupils for an embryonic class.
p. 7 & 8"... Four years later (1800), Jacob Demouth's name appears as a steward in THE STEWARDS' BOOK FOR ELIZABETH TOWN CIRCUIT, and the first documented intelligence appears about his early class, indicated simply as 'DEMOUTHS' in the early conference report from 'Staton Island' on August 9 & 10. In that year of 1800 Jacob could have been no newcomer to Methodism - no neophyte would have travelled that long distance as an istalled Stewardentrusted with the supervision and administration of Circuit concerns and income. In the next twenty-five years he rode far and wide on his church missions, visiting Barbados Neck, Elizabeth Town, Belle Ville, Paramus, New Ark and Turkey. ...
"THE STEWARDS BOOK ... April 14, 1804 ... Jacob Demouth's (collection amounted to) $3.06. By all accepted accounts Cook's, Demouth's, and a class at BoonTown came together as a congregation in 1800, all exhorted by Jacob Demouth.
The Demouth class did appear on the earliest Quarterly Meeting report of August 1800 . Figures for sundry collections appear both in English pounds and American dollars. ... Steward Demouth's class made a donation of 0.16.0. ... By 1810 the Cook gathering had separated completely from Demouth's ...
Jacob Demouth's house, which is mentioned over and over again in annals of the past as being the rallying point of the community's earliest Methodist gatherings should have been on (Bishop Asbury's tour in 1806) itinerary. ...
p.8-9 "It is believed that our founding fathers from the German Palatinate, among them the Millers, the Estlers, the Stickles, the Kanouses, the hoplers, the Occobocs, and, yes, the Demouths (French Huguenots who fled to Darmstadt, Germany), were, when they set sail for the new country as early as 1710, of Lutheran persuasion. However from long alliance by assocaition and marriage with the Dutch many attended the First Reformed Dutch Congregation in old BoonTown, an off'shoot of the Pompton Plains church, served by the same itinerant preachers whose sermons and lectures were in the Dutch language. ...
"The Bergen Dutch Reformed Church records from 1664 - 1801 contain family names of Decker, DeGroot (DeGraw), Demouth, Van Winkel, Van der Hoof Vreeland and VanZile. The forefathers led active church lives, moved from the crowded Passaic and Hackensack Valleys to our corner of old Pequannockk, Hanover and Rockaway Townships and attended either the old BoonTown church close to the Parsippany border, or the "Pumptan" house of worship.
An earlier Jacob Demouth, great-grandfather of our church founder, was married in the "Pumpton" church in 1736, its founding year, by the Reverend Johannes Van Driessen, self-styled 'extra-ordinary Instructor.' Its ancient Kerck Boeck record includes the familiar names of Demouth, Decker, Miller. Gould, Van Winkel, Romine, Hiler, Vreeland Vanderhoof, Fredericks, Kock (Cook), Pier, Husk, Young, Crane, Smith, Van Zile, DeGraw, Sisco, Brown, Kerhart (Kayhart), Carmen, Taylor, Nix, Ryker, Rhinesmith, Mead, Witty, Ryerson, Conklin, Doland and Struble. ...
our citizens who travelled to BoonTown or the Plains for a good sermon in familiar Dutch (5) were left without consistent pastoral guidance. ..."
p.10 "we must credit (the Reverend Peter Kanouse) with what information we have about the spook (a good Jersey Dutch word!) which frequented the Clay Hole and Beaver Brook marshes near the present day church.
The last decade of the 18th Century was a time when superstition held sway in every reach of old Pequannock, and people of good and sensible character believed in ghosts, spirits and witches. Our particular crony was Will-o-the-Wisp, who danced his luminous way from the Owlkill (Owl Creek, Montville) up every eerie stretch of the Rockaway River. To avoid preternatural encounter, credulous night-time travelers bound for old BoonTown and other parts east, north or west detoured past Jacob Demouth's house by way of Taylortown and Dark Woods Road (Kingsland Road), traversing the brook bridge only by light of day. Swamp fire, bobbing points of lights caused by ignis fatuus or "foolish fire," was much more prevalent two centuries ago when undrained, stagnant swamps covered large uninhabited areas. Our European forefathers already knew about this atmospheric illumination caused by gasses escaping from the miasma of the brook and river bogs; in some places it was called Jackie Lantern, in other places Spunkie. Surely just the very gullible were frightened by this familiar phantom. ...
"Remember that all during these periods of contention involving either personalities or actual church doctrine, Jacob Demouth's exhortations were reaching new and eager converts. By the year 1800 his little society was prospering and making unhampered music to the Lord. Jacob himself was a Methodist Steward. The Reverend Joseph F. Tuttle in his 'Annuls of Morris County' stated that the Methodists had 'made a stand at Mr. Jacob DeMott's or as we pronounced it, Temont's, and for a time they seemed to absorb every other denomination.' ...
1818, Montville, new church, New Dutch Reformed Church, Henry Demouth, Deacon. By 1819 it had split in two with two cemeteries. There are Demouths buried in each of them.
pp. 10 - 12 "Most families which had been involved in the arguments that disturbed all the local churches before and after the Revolution found it politic, peaceful and convenient to support the newer and nearer Methodist classes exhorted by Jacob Demouth. The scene was set. In 1782 the first complete English language Bible had been printed in Philadelphia, and the big silver-clasped Dutch, French and German Bibles had been laid aside. By 1790 the very strong and popular Reverend Jacob Green was dead. Inter-denominational marriages had weakened the long established Dutch Reformed community. The war was over, and the Good News could again be proclaimed by the traveling preachers who came right to the dooryard. Our now populace community was ready for the circuit preacher's enkindling sermons. A youthful Jacob and Deborah Demouth opened the doors of the stone plantation house to the fledgling Methodist congregation. Salvation was at hand! ... (7)
p. 12"On July 13, 1816, he married Oliver Levi and Mary Demouth, daughter of Jacob and Deborah...
Deacon Lorenzo Dow, the famous New Jersey evangelist dubbed, 'the walking preacher,' held meetings at Benjamin Munn's in July 1816, so we know local Methodists were in the gatherings there and among his listeners. Munn's class near old BoonTown went on the Stewards' list in 1801, and Quarterly Conference meetings were held in his barn. There is an interesting statement in the daily journal kept by Evangelist Dow's wife, Peggy: '....from thence (Morris Town) we went to brother Munn's, had a meeting at night... the next day we went to an appointment with an old man's, whose house had been a preaching house for twenty or thirty years. Here the congregation was small but a tolerable time....Early the next morning we proceeded on our journey, and struck turnpike, through Pumpton Plains, so on across country.' Could this 'old man' have been Jacob Demouth, who in those years was a marrying Justice of the Peace, busy with his own and neighboring concerns, but still conducting his little class? The staunch old steward of Methodism certainly merited such courtesy.
In August 1824, the Reverend David Best, 'an Elder of the Methodist Episcopal Church,' joined in wedlock two young couples from the founding families: Joseph Shaw and Sarah Ann Winget, and Richard Keyhart and Elizabeth Demouth, another daughter of Jacob and Deborah. We therefore know that that Preacher Best was a visiting elder in local homes and can imagine the wedding scene in the Demouths' homestead which was already three-quarters of a century old. The Keyhart-Demouth marriage united two fervent, next-door Methodist families: the Kayharts were leaders for many years in the 'Stony Brook Primitive Methodist Church' which evolved from the earliest classes there. In 1821 Quarterly Meeting at Elizabeth Town lists one Abraham Gerhardt, a variation of the name, in attendance.
p.13 Accounts of income and expenses from circuits of Essex
and Staten Island:
cash received from: (no dates)
p. 14 "Another (Circuit rider) is traveling preacher, George M. Crane (8) ...
"Still another is Jacob Bostedo, who by verifiable tradition, helped "settle" Jacob Demouth's congregation, and who is also credited with being the probable founder in 1807 of the West Milford Presbyterian Church. Jacob, whose daughter Jennie married David Lozaw, was also a Congregationalist! In the late 1700's he headed a little church of that denomination in Split Rock, proving Munsell's historian more than correct when the statement was made that Jacob Bostedo was "not settled over any church." The Reverend Jacob Bostedo, who most certainly itinerated in our community, died in 1832 in his 81st year. He is buried in the Zeek graveyard in Marcella. Like the Demouths, the Bostedos and Losaws were French Huguenots, their names originally Bostedier and L'Oiseau. The work of this estimable man, counselor to Jacob Demouth, is a wonderful illustration of the complicated background and diversity of our early church organization:
p. 15 "We are again indebted to the Reverend Peter L. Kanouse for a most intriguing, earlier tale about the distaff side of Jacob Demouth's exuberant and inspired assembly.
he related for posterity the story of two 'very wicked women' who practiced the 'jerks' and the 'knock down.' 'deceiving all onlookers for years until a third joined them who also fell and never rose again.' (quoted from The Jerseyman - February 20, 1858) A wonderful story! but not complete. What were the names of these grandmothers of our who five generations ago suffered and enjoyed copious, if deceptive, effusions of the Divine Spirit? Did the three 'fall' literally and physically, or just figuratively 'fall' form grace? What admonition did they receive from the grave elders of the Society? What did Jacob Demouth himself have to say about these demonstrations?
But we have digressed again. In the years before the spate of local revivals, our particular Society, according to written reports, for some reason or other had become a 'cypher.' The Denville class, which met at the widow Cook's had gone off on its own in 1810 and some time after erected a meeting house at Cook's Corner. Jacob and Deborah were growing old. Demouth's class is last listed in December 1825 Stewards' Book records with a collection of $2.50, Man(n)ing Force, presiding Elder; no other local records appear after that date. But, fortunately, something came along to enliven and revivify the fifty year old meeting. That something was probably the great camp meetings of 1832 and the stir of interest in Sunday Schools, both of which ostensibly inspired the erection of the early house of worship near the already existing cemetery on Jacob Demouth's plantation. ...
(From a family chronicle of Edmund H. Stickle): " 'a Methodist church was built June 5, 1833. The ruins of an old cemetery (11) (Demouth Cemetery) can still be seen. it is quite probable that the cemetery was in existence a long time before the church was built. Many of the tombstones are still standing and names and dates are readily distinguishable.' "
Here follows a photo of the tombstone of Jacob and Deborah Demouth with this under it:
"Jacob Demouth - 1763 - 1835
Deborah Demouth 1767 - 1833
Son Frederick's name (1796-1836) also appears on the family memorial, which records the 150th Anniversary of his father's death."
pps 15 & 17 "There is no record of whether or not this rude place of worship was used even intermittently for the full nine years before the present church was constructed in 1842. Its location by the rapidly expanding graveyard was not meant to be a permanent site. The fact that Mr. Stickle gave a definite 'day and date' for its erection suggests a one-day production in the old house-raising tradition. June 5, 1833 fell on Wednesday, and we can imagine the activity on high ground near the Demouth meadow at the confluence of Beaver and Stony Brooks. Men and ox teams, taking time from mid-week farm labors, must have startled the redwinged blackbirds and checkerspot butterflies which still abound there today. Certainly the surroundings were beautiful, but the building itself, by tradition, was a crude, unfurnished little shed with no creature comforts. No trace of its foundation can be found today.
Deborah Demouth, whose maiden name has sadly escaped all research to date, died in September 1833, and there were but two remaining years left for the old exhorter Jacob, who died intestate in his crumbling stone house on March 22, 1835.
In the estate settlement, what was left of his grandfather Frederick's original acreage was divided again and again, pieces sold, mortgaged, foreclosed and resold. The first church location, in the wake of death and the ensuing williwaw of land sales, suffered sad abandonment and the juxtaposed God's Acre was fast approaching its limit of some 300 gravesites."
p.16 - a photograph of the Demouth Cemetery
Beneath is these words:
" 'Come thou south wind and blow upon this garden.' Francis Asbury. 1807 Journal Entry. ...
Known internments are from the following first families: Piersen; Occoboc; Vanderhoof; Taylor; Hill; Kunc?; Losaw; Crane; Demouth; Peer; Decker; Hopler; Levi; Kayhart; Dixon; Miller; Van Winkle; Tucker; Kent; Romine; Shaw; Witty; Allgers; Kanouse; Adkins; Trumbour; and Minard"
p. 17 (Discussion of the terms "Society" and "Congregation") "the Congregation in proper Methodist terminology referring to everyone who attended the preaching services. The SOCIETY referred only to those who were steadfast adherents of the strictest Methodist discipline; the Society, in turn, was divided into Classes of about fifteen 'pupils,' instructed by the class leader or exhorter. The Society met for public worship when a licensed, presiding elder was present to officiate in religious ceremony."
(1) WILLIAM PENN LOT NO. 48. Surveyed for William Penn in 1715. Of this tract Frederick Demouth, grandfather of Jacob, purchased 672 acres covering most of the upper Valley. He already owned fifty acres in what is today Powerville when the following advertisement appeared in The New York Gazetter: 'No. 48 - 1250 acres lying upon the Branches of the Rockaway River near Frederick Temounts.'
(5) DUTCH LANGUAGE. By 1796 Stephan Ostrander's Kerkeboeck records for the neighborhood of Persepeney (BoonTown) were written in English. In 1803 the Rev. Wm. Provoost Knipers resumed record keeping in Dutch.
The Montville register der gedoopte (baptismal record) from 1786 to 1819 lists kinderen (children) for the following families: Estler; Cook; VanderHoof; Young; Gould; Kanouse; Miller; Kingsland; Rycker; Hopler; Conger; Vreeland; Massacker; Stagg; Struble; Parliman; DeMott (Demouth); and Mead. All of these families must have had some working acquaintance with the Dutch language.
(7) SALVATION WAS AT HAND, The following information appears in the Newark Conference Centennial History of 1957 in a brief history of the Boonton Methodist Church: Boonton, Rockaway Valley and Denville were under Methodist influence before 1785. The first Methodist sermon was preached in the stone house of Jacob Demuth at Rockaway Valley. The first record of a Society appears in 1800. It is recorded that 'These worthy men of God planted Methodism on these hills and in these valleys so firmly that the fruit has gladdened the hearts of the past and present generations and will, we hope, affect the latest.'
(8) GEORGE M. CRANE. In 1853, George and James Crane purchased the last piece of the Jacob Demouth plantation. They lost the property through default, and both brothers went to Wisconsin where they remained until death. The property was then purchased by John Bott, whose wife was Margaret Stickle, daughter of Washington Stickle. John's and Margaret's names appear on memorial windows. The large and prosperous farm remained in the Bott family for 125 years.
(10) Note #10 is a discussion of the various records relating to when the local groups were together or separate: Demouth's, Cooks, Denville, Rockaway Valley
(11) Demouth Cemetery. Probably originated in accordance with the mores of the day, as a family burial plot. Jacob Demouth was third generation on the old plantation, and his grandfather Frederick and father Adam were in all likelihood interred here also. Thirty-nine identifiable stones still stand in the acre which contains at least 300 burials.
No mention of the graveyard is made in any legal document found to date. In 1859 when Andrew B. Cobb sold the property to Jacob Decker, there was no allusion to the cemetery. However, after the death of Father Francis Skutil of Sts. Cyril and Methodius Church in Boonton, owner from 1917 until his death in 1934, the property was transferred with the following restrictions: "Said premises are conveyed subject to the rights of the owners of plots in a cemetery located thereon and also subject to the right of ingress and egress thereto." Mr. Harold Bott, the last previous owner, took conscientious care of the property which is cosignificant with our local history. The deed restriction is still in effect.
[claims Demouths were French Huguenots]
The Oscar A. Kincaid Home
Listed on the State and National Registers
of Historic Places
Headquarters: Historical Society of
591 Powerville Rd. 973-263-0907
In 1785 Adam Miller Jr. and his wife, Anna Demouth Miller, built the earliest section of the dwelling which stands today as the second oldest frame building indigenous to Boonton Township. The little house did not face the road, because at that early date there was no designated road to the property.
John Decker, Oscar Kincaid Jr.'s great-great-grandfather, purchased the home and forge site in 1833 from then owner William Scott. Forge man and farmer, John Decker became a man of substance, adding extensive acreage to his original purchase. His forge iron came from the Hibernia mines, and the shipments from his forge to New York were made via the Morris Canal. John Decker enlarged the small original house in 1837 when the side-hall main block was added. The addition's most remarkable feature is the ingenious and idiosyncratic portrait created in spiteful retaliation by a dismissed contractor. This "decoration" is now considered a unique example of naive and whimsical folk art. Amazingly, throughout the past 174 years of the house's existence and occupation, the hallway decoration was never painted out and lost.
The little ice cream stand, built by Oscar A. Kincaid, Sr., in the mid-to-late 1920's, is thought to be one of the oldest continually running country stands in New Jersey. In 1938 Oscar Kincaid Sr. entered the dairy business and added a room and large walk-in cooler to the small road stand to house his new endeavor. By 1944, the Kincaid's had reverted to general farming and adopted the name "Valley Farm" by which the house and farm are still recognized today. In 1980 it received the prestigious Century Farm Award given by the New Jersey Agriculture Society, the oldest farm organization in the country.
Oscar A. Kincaid, Jr., a well loved mayor of Boonton Township, died in November 2000. The historical Society of Boonton Township, with the enthusiastic support of friends, members, and neighbors, Purchased the house and road stand in 2003. Under its stewardshi, three phases of restoration have been completed at the house. Used for local history programs an exhibitions, it is also a popular venus for community events, fund raisers and art exhibits. The Oscar Kincaid Home of History welcomes visitors by appointment.
The Oscar A. Kincaid Home of History
Listed in the State and National Registers of Historic Places
Headquarters: Historical Society of Boonton Township
591 Powerville Rd. 973-263-0907
In 1785, Adam Miller Jr. and his wife, Anna Demouth Miller, built the earliest section of the dwelling which stands today as the second oldest frame building indigenous to Boonton Township. The little home sis not face the road, because at that early date there was no designated road to the property.
John Decker, Oscar Kincaid Jr's great-great-grandfather, purchased the home and forge site in 1833 from then owner William Scott.
[There is a John Decker descended from Anna's brother Jacob Demouth.]
Name: Adam Tiemouth
Event Type: Marriage
Spouse: Charlotte Hosk
Spouse Gender: Female
Marriage Date: 19 May 1755
Marriage Place: Acquackanonk, Passaic, New Jersey, USA
[The original record on Ancestry looks like: "M. at Kwachau living at Rocke-rack
(Charlotte) born on the Eylekill living on the Sixteen Agate Val." Writing is hard to decipher]
Revised: November 26, 2016