Wife: Anna Merrill (8)
Born: 14 Oct 1868 in Loyal, Clark, Wisconsin
Died: 12 Dec 1961 in Beach, Golden Valley, ND
Paul Ames Greeley:
Cause of Death: paralysis
Paul's widow Anna, applied for a Civil War Pension after he died, from ND.
Buried: Loyal Cemetery, Loyal, Clark, Wisconsin
Greeley, P.A. age 44 head b. Maine f.b. Maine M.B. Maine
Martha M. 41 wife Maine same
Martha E. 24 dau WI same
D. La Forest 21 son same
Winfield 18 son "
Adelia F. 12 dau "
Merritt 9 son "
Sewell 7 son "
Dora 5 dau "
"Paul Ames Greely: left the state of Maine in 1854, along with David Stinson (father-in-law), George Spears, and John Whitmore. They set up homesteads in Outagamie County, Wisconsin, an area that later was named Town of Maine, after the origin of its earliest pioneers. The post office for the township was named Stinson, after Mrs. Greely's people. Paul Ames Greely served as postmaster for twelve years, and drove the stagecoach carrying the mail from Shawano to Shiocton for fifteen years.
Maine township was formed in November 1868, the first meeting was held April 1869, Paul Ames Greely was elected town chairman and assessor, offices he held for over thirty years.
he served in the Civil War . . .
Paul A. Greely joined the Methodist Church in Greenwood, Wisconsin, and remained in this faith.
In 1909, Paul Ames Greely and his second wife, Anna, moved to Sentinel Butte, North Dakota, where they homesteaded, living there until 1921 at which time, because of failing health, moved near Beach, North Dakota, and in 1923 into the city."
Quartet From East On Trip Into New Waters
Established Village Of
Excerpted from Post-Crescent, April 7, 1923,
LEEMAN-It was because four men were imbued with
the love of discovery that the village of Leeman,
likewise the town of Maine, was founded. The early
history makes one picture an exploration trip like
that of the Vikings of old who headed their ships
into strange waters.
Leaving their comfortable homes at Clinton,
Maine, four men set out to find themselves a new
homeland in the magnetic west. They were David
Stinson, his son-in-law, George Speers and Paul
Greely and John Whitmore.
Arriving in Wisconsin in 1854, they started by
boat through the Fox River and lakes, and turned
into the Wolf river. After passing mile after mile
of its densely wooded shores, where about the only
persons they saw were Indians, they came to the
present town of Maine. They decided that this
should be their home and arranged a settlement
The quartet landed just below the present
residence of Andrew Allen, an old settler, who
came here from Canada in 1862.
From this beginning there sprang up one home
after another as these sturdy pioneers hewed
away the wilderness and made themselves prof-
itable farms. The population grew a little each
year as adventurers arrived in the new "west."
One of the favorite stopping places in those
days was the hotel which Mr. Allen conducted.
Men driving logging teams were housed there on
their way to and from the woods.
Logging was the greatest industry, occupying
the time of most of the settlers each winter as
long as the snow lasted. The logs were hauled to
the bank of the Wolf river and carried by the
current to Lake Poygan. Here they were rafted and
sent to Neenah, Menasha and Fond du Lac,
where sawmills and sash and door factories were
The group of settlers arriving up to 1867
included Thomas Jacobs, Sylvester Boodry, Thomas
W. Allen, Claude Hurlbert and Matt D. Leeman.
Shortly after the Civil war another group arrived,
including David H. Jerry, Jacob J. and G. D.
Carpenter, Moses S. Curtis Marcellus and James
Spaulding, Eben Pushor, D. W. Fuller and Charles
Spaulding. H. S. and George Leeman arrived in
The town of Maine was named thus by the settlers
from the state of Maine, and the village of Leeman
after the families of that name which owned much
of the land there.
A. H. Atwater was the first man to settle west
of the Wolf river, establishing a home there in
1870. His example was followed by Richard Strong
and James and Cal Sawyer.
At that time there were no bridges across the
Wolf river. A flat boat was used as an accom-
modation ferry. No tolls were charged, as it was a
neighborhood boat provided for general usage.
Every man was his own ferryman.
A corduroy road was built through the swamp and
a wooden bridge constructed across Wolf river in
the winters of 1881 and 1882. The bridge was
replaced in 1888 with the steel structure which is
in use now.
The first schoolhouse in the township was a log
shanty put up for that purpose in 1870.
The next building was built with boards nailed to
posts driven in the ground. Both were on the the
Shawano road, then the only thoroughfare. Now there
is a substantial frame schoolhouse at Leeman
corners. A cheese factory, a store and Union Con-
gregational church also are located there. The
land has been cleared off and a group of farms
under cultivation replace the wooded areas of
The first town meeting was held at the
schoolhouse in district No. 1 in 1868. At the
first election 18 votes were cast, electing Paul
A. Greely (pictured above) chairman; Andrew Allen
and M. Spaulding, supervisors; James Spaulding,
clerk; H. S. Leeman, treasurer; William Hurlbert
and J. C. Spaulding, justices of the peace; T.
Jacobs, constable; and Paul A. Greely and H. S.
Before rural free delivery was established P.A.
Greely drove stage from Shiocton to Shawano
Andrew Allen, 86, and Thomas Allen still live
here. D. W. Fuller lives at Townsend and Paul A.
Greely, 90, lives at Sentinel Butte, North Dakota.
(Below photo of Paul w. team of horses)
Paul A. Greely will always be mentioned in the
early history of the Towne of Maine. He was one of
the first settlers, helped clear land, and drove a
stagecoach from Shiocton to Shawano for many years,
providing the only means of receiving mail. He is
hale hearty at 90 and lives at Sentinel Butte,
Obit: Greely, Anna (1863 - 1961)
Contact: Audrey Roedl
Surnames: Greely, Merrill, Salisbury, Snow, Curl
----Source: The Loyal Tribune (Loyal, Clark County, WI) 21 Dec 1961
Greely, Anna (14 Oct 1868-12 Dec 1961)
Graveside rites were said Monday afternoon at 2:15 at the Loyal cemetery for Mrs. Anna Mae Greely, 93, of Beach, North Dakota, who died December12 at the home of her son, Roy M. Snow in Beach. She had died from old age complications. Rev. Paul Doering, pastor of the Loyal Methodist Church officiated. Funeral services were held at the Evangelical United Brethren Church at Beach Saturday afternoon.
Mrs. Greely was born in Loyal October 14, 1868, the daughter of Charles Merrill and Elizabeth Salisbury. Her first marriage was to Francis Snow who died in 1996. In 1902 she was married to Paul Greely in Loyal. The couple went to Centinel Butte, North Dakota in 1908 where they lived until until 1923 when they moved to Beach, North Dakota. She had lived there since then. Her husband passed away in 1934.
Surviving are a son, Roy Snow of Beach, a daughter, Mrs. Guy (Iva) Curl , also of Beach, ten grandchildren, thirty-six great-grandchildren and two great-great-grandchildren. A son died in 1923.
Revised: November 26, 2016