Jacob Heinrich Britzius:
Per Britzius file III p. 4 "On the ship 'Leopard' arriving New York 6 July 1840, departing Europe from Le Havre, were Jacob Britzius born 1788, Catharina Britzius born 1813, Jacob born 1820, 'Dewold' (Theobald) born 1821, and Lisbeth born 1823. . . Jakob Britzius lost his wife, Katarina Elizabeth Schwartz, in Bisterschied in 1838. Two years later he emigrated (we learn from above record) with four of his children including 20 - year old Theobald, who later married Christine Elizabeth Maurer. . .also young Jakob Britzius, 16, who later married Catherine Wasem. The ship's record lists the family as coming from 'Bavaria.'"
Per Wasem/Block Family tree, Jacob was born 3 Sep 1812
Jacob was born in House # 51, per Bill Moyer
Jacob and his sister Catherine married brother and sister of the Wasem family. Heinrich Jacob Wasem and Catherine Elizabeth Wasem were brother and sister, children of Johann Heinrich and Charlotta Catharina Spitz Wasem who came from Teschmoschel, Pfalz about the same time as our Britzius family.
Jacob Brizius, farmer, was born in Germany in 1812. He was apprenticed to the cooper trade, working at the trade for some years. He enlisted in the Bavarian army and served twelve years, raising to the rank of sergent. In 1847 he came to America, settling in Ohio, where he worked at his trade for some ten years, when he came west to the Trout valley. With his wife he trudged his way through the valley, becoming lost and almost discourged by the difficulties he experienced, but like the old soldier he was, he pushed on until he found the place he thought would suit him, which he settled on and where he has remained ever since. He has by dint of hard work and perseverance gotten himself one of the finest farms in the valley. He was married in 1848 to Miss Catherine Wasen, by whom he has thirteen children, three of whom are dead. Jacob has held the position of supervisor. He is Evangelical in religion and a republican in politics. He is a man of sterling integrity and is looked upon as one of the fathers of the settlement. He is still a hale, hearty old man and takes an active interest in public affairs. (History of Winona County, page 714).
Death and Funeral Notices Regarding Catherine Wasem Britzius
The following is taken from 2 small articles, dated 12-23-09 and 12-27-09, that were printed in the Winona Daily Republican-Herald.
Catherine Britzius died on Wednesday, 12-22-1909, at 6:00 PM at the home of her daughter, Sarah (Gustave) Markwardt, 916 W Broadway. The funeral was held at 10:00 AM, on Sunday, 12-26-1909, at Immanuel Evangelical Church*, with the Rev. A. Geyman officiating. An additional service was held in the afternoon at 2:00 PM at the Oak Ridge Evangelical Church**, with Rev. J. M. Baitinger, of St. Paul, and Rev. C. B. Engelhart, of St. Charles, assisting Rev. Geyman. Pallbearers were George Stephan, Sr. (George had been married to Elizabeth Britzius, who died in 1882; he was Catherine's son-in-law), Theobald D. Britzius (Catherine's nephew), Jacob J. Stephan (brother of George Stephan, Sr.), George Stephan, Jr. (Catherine's grandson), V. Denzer (presumed family friend), and Earl Fischer (Catherine's grandson). The children present at the service were Jacob Britzius of Spring Valley, Henry Britzius of Duluth, Mrs. John Fischer (Lottie Britzius) of Mound City, South Dakota, Mrs. John Tschumper (Ida Britzius) of Wilson, Mrs. G. Markwardt (Sarah Britzius) of Winona, and Emma Britzius of Winona. Interment was made at the Oak Ridge Cemetery***.
* Immanuel Evangelical Church is now named "Immanuel United Methodist Church" and remains located at the corner of South Baker and W. Sanborn Streets in Winona.
** Oak Ridge Evangelical Church is presumed to be the church that was adjacent to the cemetery before being torn down.
*** Oak Ridge Cemetery (now known as “Zion Lutheran Church Cemetery” or “Zion Evangelical Cemetery”) is described by “C. Kay” at http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=cr&CRid=2222481&CScn=zion+evangelical+cemetery& CScntry=4&CSst=25&CScnty=1394& as follows: “There used to be a church adjacent to the cemetery that has been torn down. The oldest dated tombstone is for Rosina Blanchard, who died December 24, 1873 at the age of nine years. There are 99+ marked graves but it is obvious there are also unmarked graves. This is still an active cemetery.”
Revised: November 26, 2016